There is nothing better than relaxing in hot water and using a loofah sponge with liquid soap for cleansing the body. You will always feel relaxed after hopping into hot water after a long tiring day. As a part of self care, you must be using few products to clean your body and skin. But there is one product that you might be using while taking a shower or a bath which could cause more harm than good and that is- your Loofah.
Most of the dermatologist don’t recommend using loofah as it can cause various skin problems.
What is Loofah?
Loofah is bathing accessories that is used for cleansing the skin while taking a shower or a bath. It is generally made up of gourd. When the gourd becomes dried it is soaked in water, peeled and the seeds are removed. Later they are sliced and shaped in many varieties and sold as a bathing sponge.
Unnatural bath scrubs are generally made up of nylon and other synthetic material.
The main purpose of a loofah is to exfoliate and clean the skin. However, it is not considered the best way for everyone, it may cause skin infection.
If you use a loofah then you should take proper care so they don’t become the carrier of bacteria and germs which can make you sick and might damage your skin.
Please keep reading to understand that why this popular accessories is not a good way to clean your skin.
Uses and Benefits of Loofah Sponge
The Loofah has historically been used as the scrubbers but later it started using as a body cleansing accessories. The uses and benefits of loofah sponge includes following:
- It is used with liquid soap to leather up and clean your skin.
- Exfoliating your skin and face.
- To stimulate the blood circulation
- It can also be used as household cleaning products like- tiles, sinks, etc.
Risk of using a Loofah sponge
Generally people love to use loofah for cleansing the skin. It is one of the easiest way to clear out the dead skin that clump around the top layer of your skin. It helps to scrub this top layer of dead skin without disrupting the healthy skin. Though this is not the best way to get rid of your dead skin.
This benefit comes with a package of risks. Following are the risks involved if you are using a loofah:
It is a breading ground of bacteria and germs
Once you have you hang your loofah after taking a shower, it contains moisture along with the dead skin of your body. The bacteria and germs in the air start to act of reproduction in the loofah and eat dead skin. Later these bacteria grow and multiply in numbers and causes skin infection which can be dangerous at times. However, if you will you use the loofah in a right way it won’t harm you.
It can be harsh on your skin
It can be abrasive for some of the skin types. If your skin is very sensitive or you are allergic to some harsh material then you should avoid using loofah.
It also makes the skin dry and causes irritation, red patches, in this case your skin might be sensitive to dermabrasion and exfoliation. We have a detailed article on Cold Sore Treatment, Symptoms, Causes, Prevention.
How you can clean the loofah
After every use of loofah you should keep a check to clean it to maintain a healthy skin.
- Instead of hanging it on the tap or shower knob, keep it outside in sunlight to keep it dry or use a drier to dry it. You can also dry the loofah with the help of a towel or a clean cloth.
- You should clean your loofah with bleach once in a week. Dipping it in a diluted 10 percent bleach will make it bacteria and germs free. Dip the loofah in this mixture for 5 minutes and rinse it with clean water. Do not forget to dry it out.
- If you are addictive to use loofah while taking a bath, then you should change the loofah very often. Replacing it within 4-5 weeks is a good way to avoid skin infection. If you see any signs of mold or fungus or any musty odor then it is a good sign to change your loofah.
- You should avoid using it on your genital area.
- Avoid using it if you are freshly shaved. The skin is very sensitive to germs and bacteria after a fresh shave.
Alternatives of loofah sponge
It is not the only way to clear the top layer of dead skin from your body. There are various alternatives to loofah which can help you get rid of dead skin:
- Synthetic bath poufs– these are made up of nylon and has dense layer of mesh which is tied with each other to form a circular pattern. This can also generate bacteria and germs and it can be even worse than loofah.
- Silicon bath scrubbers– these are made up of silicone and it is less prone to bacteria. However, it is advisable to clean it regularly with clean water and keep it dry.
- Sea sponge– Like loofah, they don’t have any dyes and preservatives. In fact, sea sponge has some natural occurring enzymes in it that helps in killing the bacteria. It is advisable to clean the sea sponge on regularly basis and should be changed with in 5-6 weeks.
- Washcloths– It is one of the best alternative to loofah, it is a piece of cotton cloth that can help you leather the soap on your body and clean the skin. After use, you can wash it in the washing machine and dry in sunlight.
You can ditch the loofah with washcloths.
Leave your comments if you have some other alternatives.